Neither Christa nor I was satisfied with the results of Friday night’s football shoot. Not only did the Panthers play poorly, going scoreless, but I shot poorly. (You can’t plan for a shot in football, only prepare in general for which direction you think a pass or a receiver might go. I was usually in the wrong place at the wrong time.) Maybe I got the best that I could have hoped for, given the team’s dreadfully uninspired effort.
Of note: the apparent failure of autofocus on my Nikkor 70-200mm telephoto lens. When I tried tripping the shutter twice and got two misfires, I felt a twinge of panic. Then Christa reported the same thing when I handed her the lens for band pictures. I was so worried about it that, later, it was all I could do to wolf down a chicken meal. When we got home, I switched on the camera to try and see what the problem might be and found it — “lens not attached,” my LED screen informed me. In an instant, I re-seated the lens, restoring the connections to the camera body, and bam, my autofocus was back in business, as smooth and responsive as ever.
Tonight’s lesson: always periodically check to be sure the lens, especially the big, heavy telephoto, is properly seated.